We AP-PEACH-IATE You!
August is all about the peach at Tulip Tree Cafe! Sharing some fun facts about Peaches:
- Peaches originated in the region of Northwest China, but today it can be found in many parts of the world.
- In China, peach is a symbol of good luck, protection, and longevity.
- Peach and nectarines are the same species, even though they are regarded commercially as different fruits.
- The peach is a member of the rose family and is a close relative of almonds.
- Peaches, along with cherries, plums, and apricots, are stone fruits. They are called “stone fruit” because of the hard pits surrounding their seeds
- There are two varieties, clingstone peach varieties, the flesh of the peach will cling to the stone (or pit), making it more difficult to remove. Freestone peaches separate easily from the pit, making it easier to pull out once the fruit is sliced in half.